R.E.A.D.I.N.G. is a new book from Seibido. I contributed three chapters:
- Charles Darwin: Time Traveller
- The Obsessive Doctor [Sigmund Freud]
- Karl Marx: Revolutionary
There’s also a brilliant piece by my University of Shiga Prefecture colleague Walter Klinger – “The Roman Empire: The Social Meaning of the Gladiators”.
As the editor Gayle K. Sato explains in her preface, the acronym R.E.A.D.I.N.G. can be composed using keywords “that best explain why this textbook was created the way it is – to foster critical and creative thinking in an ESL classroom.”
- READ: a lot.
- EXAMINE: the reading.
- ANALYZE: your examination.
- DISCUSS: each others’ analyses.
- IMAGINE: reading as muscle training.
- NAVIGATE: your life.
- GERMINATE: your own words.